Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Most illuminating

Who says there's nothing on telly these days? Well, I do, quite a lot, but ignore me. Tonight has been a televisual feast. I sat down at 10.00, to watch "Britain's Hardest Seaside Resorts" (I mean, come on - pubs, I can understand. There are fights and some of them can be rough, but seaside resorts? Old ladies and candyfloss? Thus, I searched for enlightenment) but sadly missed it, thanks to the announcer telling me that on the other channel was a programme about the Illuminati. Fantastic. Sod the seaside resorts - nutters with paranoid conspiracy theories, that's what we need.
A spot of background, for those who don't know - the Illuminati were a German secret society, set up in the late 18th Century, with an agenda of anti-monarchical republicanism, enlightenment and knowledge, and a vague anti-clerical stance. Sound good, don't they? Sadly, they were suppressed, and the movement died out after only a few years.
Anyway, the programme was entertaining enough, and hosted by a mildly amusing (albeit sub-Jon Ronson) silly bloke, who pandered to the loons, whilst subtly taking the piss (I did like his comment to the man with the megaphone, shouting anti-illuminati messages outside the house of the Governor of Texas - "I hope he's in...").
However, the question that was begging to be asked never was - that, assuming the conspiracy theorists were correct in their assumptions of the "goal" of the Illuminati - complete domination of the world, and also that they were correct in their assertions that they had controlled all aspects of the world (wars, economies, etc) for several hundred years, what exactly were they striving for that they didn't already have?
Hmmm. Never mind. I'm sure someone could have answered in a way that makes sense within their weird world-view.
But I still do need to find out what is Britain's hardest seaside resort. And what next - Britain's hardest bingo hall? Britain's hardest flower-arranging guild? The public must be informed. Lord Reith would have demanded nothing less...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home