Thursday, September 23, 2004

Is there a sexier rock star than Kristin Hersh?

I'm not even sure I should be writing this. It could be misconstrued as some sort of Loaded-esque "Phwoar - look at the tits on her" type thing. Or, indeed, it could be seen as detracting from her music - some of the most powerful, poignant and great in all of modern pop, as opposed to the sort of crap that relies on being performed by pretty, plastic non-entities for anyone to listen to it. But having just come back from watching her latest band, 50 Foot Wave, I feel I have to say that Kristin Hersh is truly amazing. I don't know what it is. Clearly she's intelligent, funny, and writes great songs. She's attractive and slightly off-kilter. But there are other women like that in music - Katy Carr, Paul The Girl, Rosalie Deighton, Thea Gilmore (all of who you should see, and listen to. Fantastic musicians, fantastic performers all), but none of them have quite the same effect on me. I think it's the voice. How a small woman (and she is small) can have such a powerful voice is beyond me. It's possibly more noticeable when she plays acoustic sets - but, even tonight, with a loud band belting out powerful rock riffs, she was truly astounding.
Kristin - will you marry me? No, obviously you won't. Oh well, never mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home