Tuesday, July 13, 2004

But wait, there seems to be more...

I must be some sort of insomniac.
Or just like typing shite at ridiculous hours of the morning. But something I wrote previously, regarding being told I'd go to hell by an ex-girlfriend reminded me of something (best leave these things undisturbed, else they'll clearly bring no end of trouble).
I argued that my reasons for not believing in the existence of god were based on rationality - there seemed to be no good evidence supporting the god hypothesis - and that if I was wrong, I'd happily explain my error to the big (wo?)man and apologise. This, apparently, cuts no ice. If you don't accept things when you're alive, regardless of the evidence, you're doomed. Which struck me as being unfair. Considering that god is meant to be, after all, loving and just, to condemn someone to an eternity of punishment for what is merely a mistake seems a tad excessive, and beyond anything that might be described as "natural justice". Indeed, I could go further and argue that as a mortal human any crime I commit, no matter how great, is still finite, and thus only deserving of a finite punishment. And yet god hands out eternities in hell to all and sundry. Why? Theists don't seem to want to answer that, and god sure as hell isn't telling...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home