Monday, August 01, 2005

Pangur Ban

I liked this. Read it in Trinity College, when doing touristy things (looking at the Book of Kels exhibition, specifically...) Written by a 9th Century Irish monk in St Gallen, Switzerland, it's a poem called "Pangur Ban". And I have no particular reason for setting it down, either. Apart from, "Why not?"
Anyway, Pangur Ban:

I and Pangur Ban my cat
'Tis a like task we are at:
Hunting mice is his delight,
Hunting words I sit all night.

Better far than the praise of men
'Tis to sit with book and pen;
Pangur bears me no ill will
He too plies his simple skill

Oftentimes a mouse will stray
Into hero Pangur's way;
Oftentimes my keen thought set
Takes a meaning in its net.

'Gainst the wall he sets his eye
Full and fierce and sharp and sly;
'Gainst the wall of knowledge I
All my little wisdom try.

Practice every day has made
Pangur perfect in his trade;
I get wisdom day and night
Turning darkness into light
-----
I presume it wasn't written in English, but I've no idea who translated it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home