Monday, August 16, 2004

My birthday approaches, and I'm no longer a Jung man...

However, for those that appreciate "synchronicity", here's one for you. I was travelling back home from The North (where it's always grim), yesterday, when, just south of Wilmslow, the train decided to have a bit of a rest. For an hour or so. Marvellous. I could rant for a long time about paying 50-quid or so for a ticket on a service that doesn't work. However, I'll merely continue with my tail. I had just taken the briefest of brief pauses from reading Stuart Kauffman's "Investigations", mainly because my brain was hurting, and it was a Sunday afternoon, so I took up something a little less taxing. Robert Rankin's "Web Site Story", to be precise. And whilst sat on the motionless train, I read the following paragraph:
"Trains had been a very good idea at the time. A time that lasted for more than one hundred years. But at some period back in the late twentieth century, some unqualified Prime Minister or other had thought it would be a good idea to privatize the system. He'd sold off the railways to various business concerns, run, curiously enough, by fellows who, although very good at business, were totally unqualified to run a railway system."
Quite...
Although, having said that, I wouldn't want anyone thinking there was anything significant in my reading that on a train that wasn't moving. I've been on plenty of them before, and never read anything about railways. Coincidence, eh? Splendid stuff....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home