Wednesday, February 23, 2005

First lines

I've just bought the Good Beer Guide 2005, and was intrigued by a quote on the back. Its predecesor, The Good Beer Guide 2004, opened with the line "A beer revolution is taking place in Britain," and, apparently, that august organ, The Sun, has chosen this as one of "the most famous first lines" in literature (I quote the blurb here, so it may be misleading, but still...) Ranked alongside this are, apparently, The Bible, Harry Potter and Nineteen Eighty-Four. In that order (at least on the back, as I said). Now whilst I can agree that the bible has a fairly well-known opening line, and I know the first line from 1984 ("It was a bright, cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen") who on earth knows the opening line to Harry Potter? Which Harry Potter, for a start - there are about 7 of them, aren't there? And whilst, yes, they sold a lot, and yes, I'm even prepared to admit they are entertaining and distracting (well, the ones I read - I gave up on the later ones, because they were too long, and I have other things to do with my time...) they are hardly memorable.
Having said that, whilst its a nice opening line from the Good Beer Guide, its hardly that memorable itself - I didn't remember it, and I have the 2004 edition, too! However, re-reading it, the opening line it most brought to mind was another famous one - more famous than Harry Potter, I would say - both in style, and in its reference to "revolutions". That line is, of course, "A spectre is haunting Europe - the spectre of Communism". Which was translated in its first English edition as the marvellous line "A frightful hobgoblin is stalking through Europe..." - sadly, this was superceded by the more well-known line above...
Still, I don't suppose we can expect The Sun to have "The Manifesto of the Communist Party" amongst its famous first lines, can we? Not when there's Harry Potter to compete with....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home