Thursday, May 06, 2004

I don't want to know about squirrels, I only want to know about cats....

Whey-hey.
I've just been to see John Martyn playing in Croydon. Marvellous gig. Started off slowly, and it was difficult to hear what he was saying at times (I know his singing's nasally and indistinct, but I didn't expect his speech to be like that), but after he'd been off for an interval and came back on, he was fantastic - the guitar was much louder in the mix, and he seemed to be bang on form - played Solid Air, to much acclaim, and did a great acoustic slot, the highlight of which, for me, was Easy Blues - I saw his ex, Beverley play this, with the splendid Matt Deighton a month or so back, and that was good, but he just blew me away with it. Highly recommended.
Support was a young woman called Eva Abrahams. I think. One of those wispy, slightly fey acoustic guitar playing women - think a dull Suzanne Vega. Sorry, don't like being cruel, but she didn't really grab me. Listen to proper Suzanne Vega, if you like that sort of thing. Or women folkies who have a bit more "oomph" - Thea Gilmore, Katy Carr. Or even Beverley Martyn....
Things that caught my eye in the news today - one of Mr Tony Blair's advisors blaming the press for the fact that people don't trust the government. Hmmm. A bit like Richard Nixon blaming Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein for the Watergate break-in.
As the fat and very curious about homosexual practices hack, Richard Littlejohn, is wont to say - "You couldn't make it up"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home